Table of Contents
Does your child have difficulty finding comfortable clothing? Maybe you do yourself? People with sensory sensitivity may find certain clothes itchy, heavy or tight. Furthermore, this contributes to sensory overload. Did you know that sensory-friendly clothing is a solution?
What is sensory-friendly clothing?
Sensory-friendly clothing is designed for people with sensory sensitivities. Moreover, it has several unique features. Oftentimes, sensory-friendly clothing is designed for people who are hypersensitive, especially to touch. Furthermore, this research, “Identifying the Gap Between Adaptive Clothing Consumers And Brands” by Lucky Farha (2021) found that certain fabric texture was a significant irritator for many children with sensitivities 1.
Below are some common features found in sensory-friendly clothing. However, it is important to note that every person has their own sensory preferences for comfortable clothing.
What makes sensory-friendly clothing different?
- A common annoyance for people with sensitivities is itchy or heavy clothing. This type of fabric rubbing against your skin can be very uncomfortable. Especially for people with hypersensitivities. As a result, it may lead to feelings of stress. Therefore, it important to find clothing made from soft fabric.
- Something as simple as tags can make wearing clothes extremely irritating. For example, have you ever had a clothing tag that is constantly rubbing against you? It can be very annoying. By removing tags, it makes wearing clothing a comfortable experience.
- Another way to make more clothing more sensitive-friendly is having looser waistbands. This ensures that pants are not too snug, because tight clothing tends to be a common issue for those with sensitivities.
Seams of clothing
- Another feature of sensory-friendly clothing is placing clothing seams on the outside. Rather than on the inside. So it does not rub against the skin. This can help to make the clothing fit loosely. Additionally, there is less material digging into the skin. For example, this is a common feature in sensory-friendly seamless socks.
- Some children may prefer to have clothing that fits a bit tighter. Especially for those who are hyposensitive. Many sensory-friendly clothing providers offer clothing made of thick dry-fit material. This can help provide a sense of calmness.
Chantilly Comfort Wear Sensory-Friendly Clothing
A fantastic business that makes a line of sensory-friendly clothing is Chantilly Comfort Wear. Chantilly Comfort Wear produces sensory sensitive products for children and adults. The aim of this company is to create clothing for people with sensory sensitivities. Additionally, there are also products for people who experience chronic pain and postpartum mothers. However, sensory-sensitive clothing can be useful for many more people!
Chantelle Plant, owner of Chantilly Comfort Wear shared the story of her small, home-based business. She explained that the inspiration behind the company resulted from her own families’ sensory sensitivities. She began Chantilly Comfort Wear a year ago after unexpectedly moving back to Canada. Chantelle used her passion for sewing and sensory-friendly products to create a brand of accessible sensory-friendly clothing for children and adults.
The inspiration behind Chantilly Comfort Wear
Chantelle explained that she found it extremely difficult as an adult to find clothing that met her sensory needs. Many sensory-friendly clothing brands only offer products for children. However, sensory sensitivities are not something that individuals grow out of. Particularly, she noticed there was a lack of pants and undergarments for women with sensitivities. Additionally, Chantelle noted that she has many customers without an identified disability, who simply prefer sensory-friendly clothing.
“We can all have sensory sensitivities without needing a diagnosis.”Chantelle Plant, owner of Chantilly Comfort Wear
To ensure that Chantelle addressed the needs of her customers, she did extensive research into sensory-friendly clothing. Chantelle also used her personal experience and expertise as a seamstress, to determine what was lacking in the market and fill the gap.
Features of Chantilly Comfort Wear
To make their clothing sensory-friendly, Chantilly Comfort Wear includes features such as:
- Tagless labels
- 4-way stretch fabric allowing the fabric to stretched equally in both directions
- Yoga waistbands to alleviate abdominal pressure
- Spandex material
- High-quality, soft and sustainable fabric
- Soft threads
- Flattened and limited seams
- Avoiding scratchy materials, zippers and elastics
In the future, Chantelle plans to expand her brand with other local Canadians that share a similar passion for sensory-friendly products. Additionally, she plans to create adaptive clothing for children that use various assistive devices.
Thank you Chantelle for your contributions to this blog post! We look forward to see more innovative sensory-friendly clothing products from Chantilly Comfort Wear. Please not that this is not a sponsored post. When we share a specific product, it is because we think it is just that good and sensory-friendly.
Frogglez Sensory-Friendly Swim Goggles
Another business that is creating sensory-friendly gear is Frogglez. Frogglez has created sensory-sensitive goggles for both children and adults. The owner of the company was inspired to create the product after watching his child struggler with the poor design of most swim goggles. Standard goggles are often difficult to adjust. They are uncomfortable, too. This makes it hard to keep them secure on the face. Additionally, many plastic goggles pull on the hair. Ultimately, this causes more discomfort.
Frogglez creates sensory-friendly goggles. The straps are made from comfortable wet-suit material. Also, these goggles wrap around the top of the head. This helps them stay in place. Furthermore, the soft mask design makes it more comfortable for those with sensory sensitivities. This allows children and adults to enjoy swimming without the discomfort of plastic goggles. In fact, many other things can be done to create a sensory-friendly swimming experience.
Hammer Head Swim Caps
Hammer Head Swim Caps are another great, sensory-friendly product for swimming. They are specially designed and made to be easy to put on and take off. The material does not pull on hair. Finally they offer protection and padding at the top of the head.
If you or your child has sensory sensitivity, consider trying these products. Sensory-friendly clothing allows for comfort and doing the things you love, everyday.
Chantilly Comfort Wear, Frogglez Swim Goggles, and Hammer Head Swim Caps are all Sensory Friendly Solutions’ Favourite Things. Sensory Friendly Solutions’ Favourite Things recognizes products that help people manage sensory sensitivity or reduce sensory overload.
Parents, think about packing sensory-friendly clothing for your little camper before you send them off to summer camp too!
Finally, interested in learning more about other sensory-friendly products?
- Noise-cancelling ear muffs
- Weighted lap pads
- Chair balls, chair socks and chair glides
- Face masks for sensory issues
- Toys for an autistic child
Sign up for the Sensory Friendly Solutions Newsletter.
Feel empowered to create sensory-friendly experiences and understand sensory sensitivity and sensory overload.
Unsubscribe at any time.
- Farha, L. (2021). Identifying the Gap between Adaptive Clothing Consumers and Brands – ProQuest. https://www.proquest.com/openview/1e4742d25e409cc4469d00f6a27a2c66/1?pq-origsite=gscholar